Saturday, February 10, 2007

Background Story and 1st Adventures in Bolivia

So the adventure begins... or I guess continues.
Here's a back-up story for you:
I grew up in Indiana, eating grilled cheese sandwhiches and playing lots of dodgeball games.
I was pretty good for a girl (I have 3 brothers). :) I went to college at Purdue University (Go Boilers!) and then started to teach at Arsenal Technical High School (Titans!!) in Indianapolis.

Teaching was going well, I was adjusting to a new environment, learning how to teach, and loving my students. I did a little coaching on the side. Then my 5th year hit, and I got burnt out. (That's the abreviated version.)

I asked Jesus if I could leave. I felt like He had brought me here, had shown me that this was
where He would bless kids' lives through my being there... and I didn't know if I could leave.
But after a lot of praying, talking to different people, and thinking... I made a decision . . .


I was out in Colorado (beautiful!) and I had a picture come to my mind of Jesus out on the water - you know, like the story of Jesus walking on water, and Peter coming out to him - anyway, Jesus was out there, and he was in this fog, and he was beckoning for me to come. He had this excited look in his eyes - like, you're not going to believe this, come on out here with me ~ we have some great Adventuring to do! I was amazed.
Could it really be that Jesus is letting me come out of the "boat" and onto the water with Him?
HERE WE GO!!!!

I wrote to my school saying that I was taking a personal leave for a year. I didn't know what I would do next year, but for now, I'm off. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Sheesh. A lot of great relationships are built in 5 years. Especially at a place where you pour a lot of sweat and tears into. I got to go visit my school before I left, and it was so good to see so many of my students and friends! To my Tech family: I love you guys!!! Keep up the amazing work!!!

I went out to Colorado (for a 2nd time) to stay with my up-coming sister-in-law, Janelle. She is one really cool girl. She loves Jesus a lot, and we became friends and sisters over the 5 months I was out there. She and my brother, Mark, (a really cool guy) had a beautiful wedding in a gorgeous field under some breath-taking mountains. They want to lead adventure mountain trips for people, and also help them connect with the needs of the local people in those areas (like S. America, etc.).

I left Colorado at Christmas time to spend with my family back in the mid-west. It was hard to leave my dear family I had met in Gunnison. There are some beautiful and amazing people out there. What a great community!! God BLESS you. I LOVED my 5 months out there with all of you.

When I got back to Indiana, I was working on getting this HUMONGO (that's Ericka for "really large") trip ready. Talk about a lot of details. And they're still not all done. But I'm sure they'll get taken care of little by little. And God is showing me that He will take care of them one at a time.

I left on Jan 31, 2007, from Chicago O'Hare airport (saved me $300), and flew down to Miami, Florida. I had a lot of adventures down there - I'm sure I'll post another blog w/ the stories.
God taught me a lot. How I can REALLY TRUST Him. He is pretty amazing. I was stranded there for 3 days, b/c of a political fuel strike in Bolivia (my 1st destination)... but it was all a part of my preparation for this BIG trip. I got to meet some amazing people - GOD BLESS YOU!! - see the SuperBowl stadium, the beach, and practice my public transportation skills.

I got down to Bolivia (squeezing into the last seat available of an already-booked flight; thank you, Barrett and Bill - 2 great American Airlines personel who became good friends!), where my friend, Kelly Langdoc, met me at the Santa Cruz airport. It was steamy and sunny, like a July day in the good ol' mid-West! (I had just left freezing weather and snow behind!! Crazy!)

I got to see her school - the Learning center - where they teach K-12 for missionary kids and locals... great school; lots of great people (teachers and students). I got to substitute teach there for a day!! It was really fun. I guess I like teaching if you don't have to plan, grade, discipline, etc. :) Then I went with a girl, Heather, who works with different orphanages in the city. She has been here for 6 years and it was great to meet her and see a bit of what she does here. Finally, I got to be a camp counselor for Jr. High - which is definitely a switch from my old high school teaching days! :) It was a lot of fun. Crazy games, good speaker, wonderful worship time, refreshing swimming pool!, and adventurous bus rides!!

All in all, it has been a WONDERFUL time in Santa Cruz!! Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got to see the SUPER BOWL (it was in spanish with not-so-great commercials; but I was SO excited to watch it)!!!! and you know I was excited about the VICTORY! Way to go, Colts!
I love what Tony Dungy said about coaching and doing things, "the Lord's way" - he definitely is a man of faith and a blessing to so many!

Tomorrow I head out for Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the next phase of my Adventure with Jesus.
I will visit my Compassion International child, Joel, and his family... and then see some sites.
Carnival, the big Mardi-Gras-like party in South America is coming up next weekend. I guess they throw water balloons and paint and other stuff on anyone walking around or riding the buses. :)

Stay tuned!! :)

blessings to you,

ericka :)

7 comments:

Carol G said...

Hey Ericka,
Great idea! I'm looking forward to reading about your travels. Sounds like you've gotten off to a great start. Don't forget to schedule yourself some R and R. I love how you lift Jesus up.
Praying for your and your journey with Jesus,
Carol

Katrina said...

Hello Ericka, this is Katrina and Ariana from the Bank in indianapolis. We are so excitesd for you. We have many people following your blog. We look forward to your words taking us along on your journey. Just remember that "God's word is a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your pathway." Katrina and Ariana

lao10 said...

hey smiley........its lillian and i wish u the best of luck and i will be pray that everything goes well......u are a good person and i know that god has great plans for u.

LKS & RAS said...

Great job on your new BLOG sight Ericka.

We shared it with our Sunday School class, Mr. & Mrs. Monroe and Mr. & Mrs. Workman; and mom will share it with Heritage tomorrow. We'll all be lifting you in prayer as you explore the ends of the earth!

Love, Mom and Dad

Paul Smiley-Oyen said...

Hi Ericka!
We're all very excited about hearing from you during your adventure! Don't know your timeline exactly, or if you planned it, but you could just follow summer by hopping hemispheres. Mark & Janelle would likely be just opposite, following the snow!

Looking forward to seeing some digital photos as soon as you have them uploaded!
Paul & Ann, Justin & Katie!

Tiffany said...

Hey Smiles!!!

I love you and I know you are going to have an amazing time with God. I miss ya lots!!! Just let your light shine before man that they may see your good deads and glorify God in heaven.

Tiffany Leachman

Deno said...

Oh Great...I can see it now, you'll be coming home with Juan Valdez and your dad will have a cow...HA! Hey Ericka, we have you on the old Greek prayer list and trust that God will provide for all your needs and that He will astound you with His goodness. We miss you! Deno and Samme