Friday, January 25, 2008

Welcome Home! Dec 14, 2007

Posted by Picasa
When I got home, my brother Craig surprised me at the Lafayette train station (I flew from London to Chicago, O'Hare; and then took Amtrak down to IN) with friends and posters and flowers and sprinklers and my favorite Twix candy bar!  When I saw him and my friends, I started to make excited loud noises of delight (screaming?) and gave a flurry of hugs . . .


It was quite the welcome.  Craig drove me back to his house, where the next day he cut down a Christmas tree and let me decorate it. (I love to decorate for Christmas, and my brothers don't really care about it.) He made me hot chocolate w/ tons of marshmallows, I got to meet his new girlfriend Kristin, and then we drove home to Indianapolis.  It was a great day.  And my brother really made it special for me.  

On the way, we prayed for a really good first interaction with my family, that God would continue and seal the work that He had done in my heart while I was gone, and that He would bless our reunion. God did all of that and more!

My two dear friends from high school (Kelly and Heidi) had come over to our house to surprise me, and my mom had cooked an amazing chili dinner to celebrate.  Craig decorated a circular cake as a globe (complete with continents and oceans), and it was a beautiful welcome home cake.  

My dad had the globe on the table with sticky tabs of all the places I was going on my trip, and he had me share my trip journey again with everyone at dinner... Chicago to Miami to Bolivia, to Chile, to New Zealand, to Australia, to India, to Hong Kong, to South Africa, to Mozambique, to Kenya, to Egypt, to Israel, to Jordan, to Spain, to Switzerland, to Italy, to Greece, to Bulgaria/Romania/Hungary (train), to Austria, thru Germany/Belgium, to London, to Chicago, to HOME! Whew. Quite the Journey, 10 1/2 months, end Jan-mid-Dec, 2007.  God showed me His Faithfulness as my Heavenly Father more than I could ever have imagined.  I love Him more today than I did before.  He is such a good Father.

I came home the weekend I did to be able to go to my dear friend Tafrica's wedding.  Because of God's faithfulness and goodness, I got on the flight from London (I almost missed it b/c of changing of tickets/reissuing them), and even with a 40 min delay on the London runway, still made it to Chicago in time to catch my train (the only one running that night) to Lafayette. I made it with 5 minutes to spare - talk about God's faithfulness.  From the beginning, all the way through the middle, to the very end. 

The wedding was beautiful.  They had a really neat symbolic moment when they "jumped the broom" a tradition from slavery days when Africans were not allowed to get married in America, so they had their own ceremonies and that was one of the events of the marriage ceremony.  I was so thankful I was able to be there with Tafrica, and to get to see some other dear friends at her wedding.

My mom threw a Coming Home Party for me, and we invited anyone who wanted to come.  It was such a wonderful evening.  I had friends from the neighborhood, friends from Arsenal Tech where I used to teach, friends from Church at the Crossing where I grew up, friends from Grace Church where I went after college, friends from Heritage where I went to high school, and relatives who drove an hour to come an welcome me home! It was so nice of everyone to take time to come.  My dad had me share a little about my trip in front of everyone, and God gave me the words to say - about His faithfulness, and believing, really believing what He says; and some highlights from the trip.  It was a great evening.

Then our family went to my Grandma and Grandpa Smiley's for Christmas, saw all the cousins, aunts and uncles - it was a great reunion.  I am blessed with a really wonderful family.  Afterwards, my immediate family drove out to Colorado to be with my next younger brother, Mark, and his wife, Janelle.  

We went skiing in their beautiful town of Crested Butte.  I stayed there to catch up with friends. Before my trip I lived in that area/Gunnison from Aug-Dec 2006. I also visited a college friend/mentor, Gretchen and her family, who lives in the Springs.  It has been so wonderful to be home again and see my beloved friends and family! I praise God that I am home safe - with so many stories, and so much amazement at who God is.

Final 2 stories about coming home:  When I was at my brother Craig's house, after he picked me up at the train station, I went out running the next day.  I was SO excited that I was home safe.  I was bubbling over with joy and amazement and YIPPEEEE!!! wonder at God's faithfulness. 

"God, thank you SOOOOOOOO much for taking such amazing amazing amazing care of me for the WHOLE trip... from the very beginning, when I was "stranded" in Miami (flights were cancelled for 3 days because of a fuel strike), all the way through the middle (my lice and blisters in India, only getting sick ONCE on the whole trip in Jerusalem, protecting my stomach from all the food changes and microbes, meeting wonderful people, having a place to stay every night, having enough money all the way through to the end, and on and on and on...), and Your faithfulness to the very end (when I almost didn't make my flight home b/c they had to rewrite my entire 20 segment ticket 3 times by hand because I changed my final destination; and then the plane was delayed on the runway, but we still made it to Chicago in time to catch my train, the last one that night, to Indiana, with 5 minutes to spare!!"  

They were all miracles and His provision for my trip.  My heart was overflowing with JOY and Thanks!!!  

But do you know what I heard?  I heard a little thought, whispering, "No, thank you."  Thank me?  For what, God?  You did everything.  You opened doors, You made it happen, You provided to the very end, You were the faithful one.  

"Thank you, for trusting Me."  

Whoah.  That was deep. There were a lot of times where I didn't feel like I was trusting Him, but I guess over all, it did take a lot of trust to step out and believe that He would be with me, the entire way.  But do you know, that even those "acts of trust" were a result of His encouragement, His enabling, His help?  

So even in that, He was the reason I was able to trust, when I did. His grace. 

God, I want to trust you the rest of my life.

2nd Story: About my finances.  Because I lived at home for 3 1/2 years before I traveled, I saved up a lot of money, paid off my college debt, and bought a used car.  That time at home was a result of asking God for direction on where to live while I was teaching in Indianapolis.  I wanted to move out and get my own place, but each year when I prayed about where to live, I believed that God was leading me to stay at home.  The last year, I was asking Him if I could leave.  "Please, God, I'm ready to have my own place."  That day I heard in my heart, "One more year."  "Ok, God, if You say one more year, I can do that."  And do you know; that money I saved up the last year at home was the majority of the money I used for my trip.  I had no idea.  God is so wise and so good.  God, I pray that You will help me really listen and obey You always.

I thought I would use that saved money to put a down payment on a house or pay for part of grad school.  When the opportunity to travel came up, I wondered how I would pay for it.  I thought I couldn't spend that money "on me"; I should give it to the poor before I did anything selfish with it.  But that night as I went to bed, I heard God whisper to my heart concerning the money and the dream of this Around the World trip, "It's a gift".  How generous God is!  He provided for me to save it, and now He was giving it to me to spend on a personal adventure with Him!

I tried to be really good about how I spent my money on the trip, and would pray before buying anything.  I felt like God was my money-manager, and I wanted His input on things.  I figured He would know when I was going to run out, and how I should spend the money so I didn't.
Well, I never really heard, "Buy this" or "Don't buy that", but I kept asking Him for guidance.

I would say through my whole trip my top three worries were: 1) That my finances would last through the whole trip.  2) That I would have a safe place to stay each night / contacts in countries.  3) For my safety in general as I was traveling in taxis with strange drivers or in unfamiliar countries/cultures (especially with men). 

I had a girl pray for me once, when I was in South Africa, right in the middle of my trip.  She prayed and asked God to provide for me abundantly, and afterwards she said, "God is going to do it."  I thought, 'Easy for you to say, you're not the one trusting Him each day for everything.'  But I hoped she was right.

Well, by the time I got to London in December before my final flight home, I had $300 to my name in my account.  That was it.  But, at least it was something.  I was amazed. I experienced a lot of hospitality in Europe, which enabled me to still have that money left. At the airport, I had to pay $250 for a change of destination fee.  I thought, "Great, I still have $50!  Charge away!"  And they swiped my card.  After arriving home and getting unpacked, I got online and saw I had a cell phone bill for the last month, and guess how much it was for?  $50.

God is absolutely amazing.  We coasted into home with $0 and maybe some change, exactly, after it was all over.  

Who's the amazing money manager???!!!  He is good.

And do you want to hear about some ice cream that He scooped on top, just for a blessing at the end of the trip?  I was unpacking, and found my money belt.  

Safely hidden (and forgotten) inside were some traveler's checks and some foreign currency I hadn't spent.  Do you know how much it was?  $500.  I couldn't believe it.  God is beyond amazing.  He is faithful.  And He is good.  To the end.  ALWAYS.  That is His Character.  And because He is God, His character doesn't change.  No matter what our situation is, or where we find ourselves, HE is FAITHFUL.  And HE is GOOD.

And the safety thing - yup, He did that too.  Yes, I had some uncomfortable situations, but He brought me safely through all of them.  And if something bad would have happened, I would still want to believe in His goodness and faithfulness, and trust that He would bring me through whatever it was.  

The stories in the Bible and the testimonies of thousands of believers through the ages speak of His Great Faithfulness, no matter the circumstance.  I'll bet someone in the past has gone through every situation we may have to go through, and they experienced God's faithfulness.  So that gives me confidence that we can experience His same faithfulness and goodness, because He doesn't change.  May we always trust and put our hope in Him, no matter what anyone says, or no matter what we feel like, or what our situation may "say".  His character is His character, 100%, all the time, through all generations.

God, help us to grow deep and wide and high and long in our understanding of You, who You are and what You're about.  May we have understanding and trust in You.  Always.  Even when it is so tough.  Please help us grow in our trust and belief in You.  

And if someone is really hurting right now, because they've had a really tough situation, I pray that You would minister to their heart and you would demonstrate Your loving-kindness and presence to them.  May they feel your perfect peace wash over their pain and anger and hurt and sadness.  And may they forgive and let go and find healing for their heart and their soul.  And may You set them free to fully follow after You, with all of their hearts and souls and minds and strength.  May they walk and run with You and be restored to who You have made them to be!  

Glorious and in the beautiful image of Your Son.  Jesus, I pray for an understanding and revelation of the Cross and what You did on it, and why it's so important for people to believe You.  I pray that hardened hearts would be softened to see the humility and deep love of what You chose to do on the Cross.  

And I pray that through belief, we would experience fully what You came to do - to not condemn the world, but to save the world through Your death on the cross.  Heavenly Father, help us believe and to receive it for ourselves; we do not want to be separate from You any longer.  

We want to walk in the fullness of what You have in Your plan for Your redeemed (made right with You) children.  I want to be Your child.  Thank you so much for what Jesus did on the cross for me.  I believe it to cover all of my sins and bad things I've done; I'm sorry for those things; please forgive me.  

Thank You for what Jesus did on the Cross for me and for the sins of the world.  I believe You.  I trust in You.  I know my hope and my salvation are in You alone.  Thank you, Father.  I invite you into my life to transform me by the presence of Your Spirit.  May I be sealed in You, forever, and may You daily transform me more and more like You; in the image of Your Son.  Help me to grow in You.  When I get discouraged, please encourage me by Your Spirit and through other people who have put their hope and trust in You.  May we be a people who shine Your light into the dark places of the world, so that more people can be set free and brought into Your glorious Kingdom.  

Thank you, Father.  You are so good, and patient, and kind.  You are full of justice and mercy.
I love you and am so thankful for who You are.

I pray this all in Jesus' Powerful Name, that is above Every Name,
Amen.

1 comment:

Lord Of Skulls said...

"I had a girl pray for me once, when I was in South Africa, right in the middle of my trip. She prayed and asked God to provide for me abundantly, and afterwards she said, "God is going to do it." I thought, 'Easy for you to say, you're not the one trusting Him each day for everything.' But I hoped she was right." I have to ask you...your statement is that she is not the one trusting him each day for everything, yes? What makes you so special that you can trust and just becuase someone else prays for you, your efforts are better then them? She cannot trust to let prayer keep her alive each day in South Africa? I have a problem with this and you...you sound like a priveleged special girl who has come with her travel buddy to a dark and dismal land, never realizing he might have been there before you. Perhaps editing your words a bit might keep you from being a stumbling block let alone a speed bump in the way of faith.