Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 ~ A Year of New Things

My friend Eldrid told me last New Year's that 2008 signified a year of 'new things'.
The year has come and gone and I wondered if I experienced this newness now that I'm home from my travels . . . 




After coming home from a year's journey around the world (2007), I didn't think
much happened in 2008. But then, I looked again and remembered; and yes, there
have been many wonderful new things in my life (see list below).

But one thing that hasn't changed is my discovery that God is faithful.
As I look back into the past year, I see God's invisible and gracious hand guiding me through the 'normality' of preparing lessons for my students, writing about my trip, and living in a small town.

Sometimes it is so hard to realize his real-time presence in my life. I feel normal. I wonder if he really is directing my life, today, and preparing things for tomorrow. Will we have fun together? Will we help people? Will he draw others to himself through my life (through him in my life)?

But when I look back over time, I see the fingerprints of the Lord, and how he is faithfully directing my life. And I realize that he is dancing with me.

My prayer for 2009 is that it would be a year of wisdom and revelation.
I would like to grow in seeing his presence real-time, so I don't have to rely on 'looking back' to find him. And I also want to bring more real-time connections of the Lord with others that I meet, so they would experience his reality and his goodness.

New thought: maybe faith is believing in the present that God is here and he is working, even when we don't see him. And looking back, that is when he becomes visible. Is it possible to see him in real-time? Real-time dramatic things are easy for me, but in real-time mundane, can I see him?

Blessings to each of you!

May you experience his presence in 2009.

Highlights from 2008:
*West Coast Tour to visit family and friends - Jan/Feb


*Home to surprise my mom for her bday - Feb


*Directed by the Lord to come settle in the land, Jeremiah 29


*Moved to Gypsum, CO, at the invitation of my youngest brother and his wife - Mar


*Wrote about my trip


*Volunteered as a rancher!
-Rode horses up on the mountain ~ glorious views! My favorite days.


*Worked as a waitress at a local restaruant


*Interviewed for a 6th grade science teaching position in Gypsum


*Offered a job for fall 2008 at Gypsum Creek Middle School


*Home for family reunion - July


*Miracle provision of a 3 credit grad course at IN Wesleyan to renew my license


*Miracle provision of money for a plane ticket to Norway to be with my dear friend before her wedding - Aug


*God shuts down the Dallas airport with a thunderstorm to enable me to get home from London for my first teacher meetings.


*He continues to take care of me each step of the journey. He is so good. He is so faithful. I am so glad to be his daughter. I love you, Daddy!


*Starting teaching after a 2 year 'retirement'. Struggle at first, but God has given me such wonderful kids and a very kind principal. I am so thankful for his provision for me to teach there this year.


*Coached volleyball for a wonderful group of 7th grade girls.


*Great Christmas break with my family. God's gift.

With anticipation for 2009 because God is good and he is faithful,

Ericka :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

"...maybe faith is believing in the present that God is here and he is working, even when we don't see him" - Thanks for this definition. Blessed 2009 to you!

Unknown said...

Hi Ericka,
I was going through my pics and I came upon some from 2006 and I remember meeting with your group in 2006 in Utah. I am not sure if you remember me, but I had some pictures of your group rappelling down in the Arches in 2006.
I am now able to post pics on line
I will posts some of those of them in my Photobucket account or I have the ability to e-mail them to you now that I have broadband/cable access at home

KD Acharya