Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Adventure Begins: Indy to Chicago

Has anyone ever asked you what heaven is like, or how big the universe is? This is how it felt whenever I would think about my up-coming trip around the world. I couldn't quite get my mind around it. It was just kind-of out there; yet to be discovered and understood... but I knew I was moving towards it.

I was scheduled to leave Indy on the morning of Jan.30, 2007 . . .


I would be taking a train up to Chicago (pretty cheap) to stay with my friend, Kelly, and her husband and daughter. She would then take me to the airport on Wed. morning... for me to fly out to Miami... and then on to South America.


I stayed up all Monday night packing and getting last minute details ready. I would be leaving for 7 months, so there was a lot to think about and get done. We made the train with 5 minutes to spare (thank you, God, and my parents, for getting me there!). My dear friend, Tafrica, had also come to the station to see me off.

I had an uneventful train ride and slept a lot (I was exhausted from the night before). My brother, Ryan, met me at the Lafayette station to give me an ipod he had filled up with songs for me (one that my uncle was letting me use for the trip!). I got to my friend Kelly's apartment with no trouble; I had done the same trip about a month ago when I came up to get my visas. We had a really nice time together; it was great to see her and I was so thankful that she was able to send me off! Thanks for your prayer, Kelly, when you dropped me off at O'Hare.

After checking in my luggage, I was walking down the corridors of the airport, and I couldn't help but smile. My heart was filled with a joy that came from knowing I was on the edge of an amazing adventure... it was here! I remember asking God about my travel buddies. I got the distinct impression that there were a few pretty amazing angels assigned to this mission and they were EXCITED to be on the trip with me! :) That was cool. Then I asked Jesus if He was going with me. Just as quick as the question rose in my mind, His answer came, and with it, assurance to my heart. He told me He was ALWAYS with me. That was really cool. So here we go! My head came up with confidence, shoulders went back, and a smile splashed out on my face ~ we were going on an Adventure ~ and I had travel buddies! :)

2 comments:

LKS & RAS said...

Thanks, Ericka........
.............for sharing, in writing, all the SPARKLES in Miami!

You, young lady are pushing out of your comfort zone; and, like Ordinary in 'THE DREAM GIVER', are discovering time after time His provisions for you in many ways, mostly through people as you work through circumstances of the moment! We definately agree that you have a band of angels assigned to you for your safe keeping; as you continue to grow in His wisdom!

Mom is gathering a resupply box to send to Ms. Stotts. It will go out upon her return from her NILD conference in Norfolk, VA Saturday.

Love you a ton, Ericka,

Mom & Dad 2/19/07

skinnersrus said...

Ericka!

I was so honored to be able to share in small part of your journey. And I love being able to keep up with your blog. I will continue to pray for you and trust you into Jesus' hands. Watch out for those small blessings every day. I love you,

Kel