Monday, February 19, 2007

Day #2 in Miami!! (SuperBowl Stadium!)

I'm still in Miami. It's Thursday, but the good thing is: I'm OK, I had a nice hotel to sleep in last night, and there is BEAUTIFUL weather outside! And did I say that the SuperBowl is in town this weekend? (And my hometown team, the Colts, is in it?!!)

I spent the earlier part of the morning talking with my new roommates and friends; I got to tell them some stories about my buddy, Jesus, and why I liked Him. Then I asked them what they would ask God for, if they could ask Him for anything . . .


All of them said they would like to be on the plane today. Ok, let's ask Him. He can do anything; we need to ask! So we all prayed there that morning.



We took a shuttle to the airport; two of the girls had flights at 1 pm; NY girl and I had a flight at 11 pm that night. When we arrived, we found out that their flight was going!!! (It so easily could have been cancelled, all other day flights were cancelled the next few days!)


We stopped by the airport's Lost and Found, to see if anyone had turned in my journal from the night before. The girls all knew I was missing it and praying for it to be found. We walked into the office, and I started to ask the gentleman on duty if he had seen a... and there, on the counter behind him, I saw my journal!!!!! It still had my boarding passes in it! "Thank you, JESUS!," I shouted out! Yea!!! Seeing God provide for me, through our delayed flight, was beautiful. The guy behind the desk smiled at me, and said, "God bless you."


We left to get the girls to their gate. They had become good friends and I look forward to seeing them again. We said one more prayer of thanksgiving before they (Yukon and Holland girls) left.

That left NY girl and I to figure out what we were going to do for the day. I wanted to go see the SuperBowl Stadium - all week long there were activities in Miami for the big game. That day there was a big carnival-like event up at the stadium. We went down to the bus terminal and looked at maps (it was great to have a NY girl with me - amazing how God provides). We ended up purchasing a ticket for the Tri-Rail Train; and got some more advice from a lady at the SuperBowl Help Desk.


So it was off to the train! It arrived right when our shuttle got to the station. We climbed on and got a seat on the upper deck. We ate some of our snacks, and listened to a man who was talking crazy to one of the security guys. It sounded like they knew each other, but it reminded me a little of my days at Tech. The guy got off at a station or two later.


We asked the security guy about our stop, and he let us know when to get off. At the last minute, my friend suggested we go all the way of to Ft. Lauderdale on the train and then come back down at night to the Stadium. So we stayed on through our stop. I looked at the SuperBowl program and saw that the times wouldn't work, and a guy who was riding near us said that the area we wanted to go in Ft. Lauderdale had some sketchy areas. (He looked a little sketchy himself, but I was thankful for his help/advice.) We decided then to get off at the next stop to go back south to the Stadium, and skip Ft. Lauderdale.


Being in Miami, our watchful eyes were definitely up... there were people across the tracks waiting for the train, and I was thankful to be with my NY friend. We bought another ticket and then went to wait for the next train. Thankfully it arrived within 15 min, and we had to jog back across the tracks with our suitcases to catch it!


We sat up on the 2nd floor again - it has a nice view. When we started talking about going to the stadium, a guy overheard us and asked us about it. He looked pretty nice, like we could trust him.
I offered that he could go with us if he wanted. It would be nice to have a guy along. Another woman overheard us talking, and she asked us if we knew how to get to the stadium. We were open to any advice she had for us. She called out to the whole train car to find out how many other people were interested in going to the stadium. About 10 other people were. So she told all of us, "You have to catch bus #2 at the next stop; but you have to hustle, because bus #2 don't play." :) I liked her.


When we got there, the 3 of us followed our new friend and "tour guide". As we were crossing the walk-way from the train station to where the buses were (about 400 m away), she looked up and said, "There's bus #2!" It was just pulling up. She started to run, so I did too! The guy was carrying my bag and NY girl had hers, so they couldn't go as fast. Tour girl and I were waving and yelling, trying to get the bus to wait. It started to pull away from the curb, but we got to within 10 feet of it, and finally the driver saw us and stopped! We piled on the bus, Helper guy and NY coming soon after. We were all laughing (and the suitcase carriers were a little sweaty!) and thanking Tour girl for helping us get on the right bus. All the others from the train missed it.


Tour girl told us where this bus was going and where to get off. Before she got off at her stop, she told the driver where we were trying to go. Thank you, God, for this friend!


We soon arrived at our stop - we could see the Stadium in the distance! It was a beautiful day; blue skies, sunny, and there was a cool formation of about 5 airplanes carrying banners with advertisements. (I took a picture for my dad because he likes planes!)


When we got to the entrance of the SuperBowl area, we found out we had to pay $15 to get in to the "SuperBowl Experience"... we paid and then had our crammed-full suitcases checked at the security station. We laughed and told them we were stranded in Miami and so had to take our luggage around with us. :)


They did a great job that this fair-like event. There were huge tents everywhere, volunteers with their shirts, and fun things to do! The 1st tent had a very awe-inspiring HUGE screen movie of great plays from past super bowls; and plays from this season's Bears and Colts best games. The music made you want to get up and shout and cheer... it really got you, probably even if you didn't even like football. :)

In the middle of the whole area was a huge (probably 200 feet tall) structure that was lit up and had a gigantic golden football inside of it. It almost looked like a golden idol from the Bible days. It made me wonder how much we bow down to it (and other things) in the US...


Then there was a really long line to a place where you could try to kick a field goal. That's what I wanted to do. While waiting in line, I got to talk to a good friend on my phone, so that was nice. When I got to the front, I asked for advice from the guys there, and then set the ball up to get ready. (I had played soccer from 7-14 years old, so I figured I had some skills.) I charged towards the ball, planted my left foot, and then swung through with my right... contact!! The ball sailed sadly and flatly to the left, missing by about 15 feet. Arghh! Can I do it again? "Ok, as long as there aren't others waiting", the guy said. I tried it about 3 more times. Nothing. UGHH. I really need to practice. And I have a new respect for kickers.


The next tent was for throwing, so I knew I could do this pretty well. :) After all, I grew up with 3 brothers, 3 boy cousins, and my oldest cousin, Matthew, taught me how to throw the football one summer. While I was in line, one guy joked with me, I bet you can't throw it to the 20 yard line... I told him I bet I could, and probably throw it farther than him. :) I got up to the throwing place, took the ball, looked out to where I wanted it to go, stepped back, and let'er rip! It hit the far back edge, clearing the 20 yards. :) I smiled. The guy came up after me, and his throw went short, mine was clearly farther. I smiled at him then and left. :)


I continued walking around the area, looking at other activities - they had tons! Run a 50, racing others; Practice running plays with a team of other people; Stand behind a life-size, plastic, headless football player from your favorite team, and get your picture taken; with your head!

We had to leave soon after that to catch our bus back to the train to get to the airport. NY girl and I said good bye to our helper guy, because he wanted to stay a bit longer. We ended up having to jog all the way to the bus stop, so we got our workout for the day!

Right when we got to the stop, the bus pulled up - I was again thankful I had NY girl with me! She knew how to cross busy streets when the sign said don't cross, and lots of other helpful things!

However, after we got on we found out it was the wrong bus. A guy on the bus helped us know which one we should get on - so we got off at the next stop and had to cross another BUSY intersection! It was night by now, and we were in Miami. We got to the bus stop and saw a lady there talking to a guy. When the right bus pulled up about 10 minutes later, we asked the lady about it. She told us it was the right one, and we got on with her. I sat near her, and found out that she also loved Jesus! Her name was Anna. It was amazing. One person after another, put in our path to help us out just when we needed it. I looked to the back of the bus and there was our Helper guy - he had left early, and caught this bus! :) So we were all back together again.


When we got to the train station, we had to run again; the train was coming and if we missed it, we would have to wait another hour! We made it! Thank you, God! It had been a great day and I was excited to catch our flight to Bolivia that night. Little did I know...


On the train, NY girl called the airport and found out our flight was cancelled again. What?! She started to get frustrated and began to cry. She was only 19 and was trying to meet her family down in Bolivia who had gone down ahead of her on vacation. Helper guy and I tried to cheer her up... it turned out that Helper guy worked for an airline and so he knew all the things to do to try to talk to people at the airlines in problems like these. I was again amazed at God's glorious provision... I wrote down a whole sheet of people I should try to talk to, what I should say, and got a pep session of "don't give up until you get the answers you want".

While on the shuttle from the train station back to the airport, we met another lady, from Brazil, who was very friendly, and she gave me her email and saying she would love to help us with anything she could. She was flying to Brazil that night. (That turned out to be a significant meeting for my NY friend, as it turns out later...)

We arrived at the airport at about 8 pm, 3 hours before our "scheduled" flight. NY girl and I prayed, and she told me I should talk to the people, because she was going to "go off" on someone if she did.

I was praying about who to talk to... God, guide me. One lady was helping someone else, and then I saw a guy walk by who looked like he had been helping people the other night. I approached him, "Excuse me, sir..." When he found out I was on the canceled flight into Bolivia, he tried to brush me aside, saying there was nothing they could do, it was a political problem, like a weather problem, and they were not responsible for it. They wanted to get us there as much as we wanted to get there. I would just have to get another hotel, and hope the problem would end soon.


I was praying while he was talking, God give me wisdom and strength, and I asked calmly if I could speak to a manager. He said quickly, "I am a manager." Oh. "Is there anyone else I could speak to about this issue?" "Well, you could try over there at that desk... but good luck." I asked him how long he thought this would go on. It's already been 2 days. He went off to check for me.


When he came back, he said he didn't know, it may be better to fly home and try again... rather than keep spending money on hotels in Miami. Wow. During that conversation, I kept talking calmly and with peace, and eventually it came up, I'm not sure how, that I loved Jesus. It turned out that he did too.

He became my friend and advocate... He worked for the next 2 hours on trying to find other options for me and my friend. Flying into Chile, Brazil, etc. My friend was getting really angry and frustrated. She wanted to be on ANY flight, tonight. He got her on one to Brazil - the same place that nice lady from the shuttle was going. I gave my friend her email and name and told her to be sure to look for her on the plane.

We said goodbye. I pray that she made it safely.


Next, my new airline manager friend, Barrett, continued to try and help me get to S.America that night. There was a flight to Santiago, Chile - did I want that one? I had a friend there; but when I tried to call, no one answered. We tried multiple times. I even sent an email. Did I want to go, still? I thought, sure, God has provided people so far - I'm sure He will continue to amaze me. My friend Barrett told me that he wouldn't advise flying to a foreign country with no one there set to greet me. The language differences, strange place; he just didn't think it would be best. He said, "We will just pray that God will open up tomorrow night's flight." Ok. That's what we'll do, then.


That whole time at the ticket desk with Barrett was really a blessing. I met one other guy who really loved Jesus, Bill, and he was a real encouragement, too. They both went above and beyond to help us. They even put my NY friend on 1st class, and went personally down to where the luggage was to see if they could find our bags. (They were already in Bolivia.) I really prayed that my NY friend would see God taking care of her, and would remember it, after all the drama had settled down.


Both Bill and Barrett also spoke a lot of real encouraging things to me... giving me "nuggets" to hold on to - about trusting God, walking with Him, being His close friend, and their own stories about Him. Barrett said he would pray that my adventure with Jesus would turn into a purpose with Jesus. It was a gift from God. When Barrett left for the night, he told me that he was praying that I would be in God's presence tomorrow in very dramatic ways... and that doors would open up.


It was decided that I would spend the night in the airport - Barrett said it would be safe, and pointed out a good place. I was really thankful I packed ample supplies in my carry-on, more than I usually do. (Extra changes of clothes, toothbrush, some food, a book or two, the ipod, a blanket and pillow, etc.)


I settled down with my stuff; there were others in the area who were in the same predicament - missing a flight or having it canceled. I met a family from Canada who were coming back from Jamaica. They were really frustrated with the airlines. I tried to listen and be a blessing to them from the Father.


The fluorescent lights were bright - they never dimmed. Every 15 minutes, a LOUD (esp at night, when you were trying to sleep) woman's voice came over the speakers saying, "Remember, 3-1-1, 3 oz bottles of liquid, in 1 quart-size zip-lock back, 1 per passenger... The time is now, One AM... Please do not leave your luggage unattended or accept things from anyone..." ALL NIGHT LONG. Even with my ipod speakers going, it didn't drown her out. Plus there was that amazingly horrible elevator music going all night over the speakers. It was quite the night.


I think I got 3 hours of sleep....


I got up about 5:30 AM, and packed up my stuff. I listened for a while to a conversation b/w 2 couples - one leaving Bolivia, another heading into it. They gave me a couple of ideas of things to see.

I walked to a restroom to try to freshen up. I couldn't believe how tired I was, and starting to get discouraged. God, is this stupid that I'm trying to go on this trip? Should I just go home? What are you trying to show me? Right after that, I saw a note in my journal from my good friend, Eldrid. It read, "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble: May the Name of Jacob's God protect you. May He send you help from the sanctuary and sustain you from Zion. May He remember all your offerings and accept your burnt offering. May He give you what your heart desires and fulfill your whole purpose" Psalm 20. They were nice words, but I was feeling pretty discouraged. Ok, God, bring it on. I don't know what to do.


I left the bathroom, praying about where to go. I saw a ticket counter for my Around the World ticket, and got my itinerary printed off, b/c I had heard that some countries needed to see proof of on-going flight plans to allow you into their country. While there, I asked the guy if there was a quiet place in the airport, without the lady's annoying voice, where I could get some sleep. He told me to try up on the 7th floor of the Airport Restaurant - you can get a nice breakfast, and its quiet.


So that's where I headed...

No comments: