Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pics: Arriving in Nairobi!


Leaving S.Africa - Flying to Kenya

Last weekend in Johannesburg, went to Maranatha Church, met wonderful pastor, Dyrek, who is like a father/grandpa to so many people. He is a great dad... so neat to listen to him encourage the people of his church, just like a grandpa or father would - not preaching, just having a conversation with them, sharing wisdom and how to avoid pitfalls.


There is Dezi, my dear friend from Joburg - God crossed our paths, and what an encouragement!!! She is visiting the States right now! Such a blessing to meet her!!
Kenya Airlines flight; that Monday, a week later than i thought/wanted... but do you know what? God enabled an amazing meeting on that flight, with the S.African women's national volleyball team. They were flying to Kenya for an all-african volleyball tourney, and the invited me to come!! So i did!!! 



And guess what? while I was there, I met girls from the EGYPTIAN team, and one of them is who is being such an amazing friend/hostess/city guide to me right now. God is amazing. How HE KNOWS and how He connects... He really can do ANYTHING. His timing is spectacular. (the green shirts in 2nd row w/ building to right is the S.Afr team and the building they played in. It was so fun for me to watch; i rode a matatu (mini bus/van) all by myself which was fun!! the guy tried to charge me double, but thankfully i knew better!!! Vball is my favorite sport, i coached at home, so it was so great to watch these girls; they are REALLY good. Kenya's team won; they have a 38 year old STAR who jumps out of the gym and who has an 8 year old boy. Amazing!! 


I got to play a little too, which was great; in b/w games, during the lunch hour break - i think i did alright, i was the only white girl out there, so i figured people would be watching... i wanted to represent well!

Backing up, when i arrived, i forgot about the money for the visa, $50 US, but the lady at customs was really nice to me and let me go down to my luggage to try to find some money... she held my passport. Amazingly, the first thing i pulled out was an envelope w/ just a $50 in it. Praise GOD!!!! I got in to Kenya!!!

The Gikori family picked me up; it was great to have familiar faces greeting me with smiles and hugs at the airport in a foreign land!!

They had come to Indiana for 1 year to work at Grace Community Church, and I was in a house church group with them during that time. They were such wonderful hosts. We had lots of really really great talks and they encouraged and built up my faith. Thanks to my Kenyan family!!!

Logos Christian School is where they send their younger daughter. Its part of Nairobi Chapel Church. Great school!! Great location; the could look out on a huge green yard full of trees and grass and beautiful scenery. K-4. They're adding a grade each year. I got to help for one week. It was fun to be w/ the kids; playing out in the yard, practicing new conflict management skills my friend, Amy, taught me in Mozambique. 


(2 kids come whining to you with a complaint about one or the other... instead of playing referee, which i would normally do... try this: "ok, joe and jude, go over there and 1) talk to eachother about what the problem is 2) come up with a solution that both of you are happy with 3) report back to me. whoah. revolutionary. i'm not kidding, it worked. the kids went over, talked about why they were upset, came up with a solution (usually it was to say they were sorry and forgive), and then the came back to me saying it was all ok. and they went off playing again! HA!!! I don't think i will ever again play referee!! (that technique is compliments of Amy's mom, from Washington!) 


{as a side note, when i went into that house, i really liked it, it was big and had lots of rooms, and great windows looking out into the green valley/jungle area/with grass in the back... i'm dreaming, but one day i would maybe like to own a house like that, have LOTS of kids (visiting or staying?)... and??? i'm not sure what... school?? i don't know. its a dream perculating in my mind...}

The last pics are of downtown Nairobi - it was so cool to see tons of black people walking around, driving, riding, working, talking... seeing them ALL OVER... and knowing the whole continent was full of them!!! So great to be the minority, sometimes, although in the rural places i got LOTS of stares. But it was so neat to be in the place where all my dear brothers/sisters whom we refer to as "african american" or "black" come from... just like when i went to china, and saw the homeland/all the chinese... so cool. you see their roots. 


Of course we're all human, and from one descendant and ultimately from God, made in His Image, but it IS cool to see where people groups come from.

You can get a fun pedicure (feet washed, scrubbed, nails done) for a pretty nice price!! The final pics are of 1) Mo and Marcy and Kiama and Wanguy (spelling?), who were wonderful in helping me get to Nairobi - Mo helped me the whole time in making connections and encouraging me to come!! They invited me over for a really nice dinner and we had a fun time and it was so nice to have Marcy pray for me again. Blessings!! (they also came to Indiana w/ Nairobi Chapel to Grace) 


And finally, friends of Susan and Cyrus who helped welcome me the 1st night i arrived and sent me off again! And Anu and her beautiful baby, Gun-Gun (pronounced gune-gune); she was our neighbor and became a great friend. I have a beautiful pink sari from her!
Oh, and how could i forget!! i was asked to share about my trip on a christian radio program, called Family FM in Nairobi!!!! HA!!!!

So I did. It was really nice. And I pray an encouragement to whoever heard it. Amazingly, God had me have a blank CD in m purse (who has that??) and so i was able to get a recording of it... it encourages me, to look back over all that God has done!!!! Glory and Honor and Thanks be to HIM!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: