Monday, November 5, 2007

Pics: Barcelona, Spain

Posted by Picasa
Pictures of Meeting Eric Johnson and his wife Gina, in Barcelona!
Going out to eat with them, visiting cathedrals; learning to use the Metro system for the first time on my whole trip - Thank you, Eric, for teaching me!!  Great conversations with them about traveling (they are avid world travelers as well) and about God.  Gina's family invited us over for dinner, and it was so nice to spend time with a local family.  Gina's mom is an amazing artist.
Later, I did my own adventuring to a nearby park that had famous Goudy artwork (interesting modern designs), and played my guitar up on top of a hill.  I went down into the city and visited a fruit market, and walked to the Olympic park, and then walked back up all the streets to see more famous Goudy architecture.  I decided that I liked nature much more than cities.  So the next day I took a train out to visit some beautiful mountains north of Barcelona.  There was some awesome sunshine coming over the peaks that made it spectacular.  It was a great time in Barcelona, and Eric and Gina were fantastic hosts!  I bought a train ticket to Switzerland (well, I used my Eurrail pass but then had to pay about $70 more for taxes and the overnight car).  I spent the last evening trying to figure out where I was going to stay in Switzerand.  I had emailed a bunch of people, and heard back a few things, but mostly people who couldn't host me.  Eeek.  God?  The night before I left, I got an email from a friend of a friend, whom I met while traveling, who said I couldn't stay with her, but there was a Christian group house, started by Francis Shaffer (whom I remember wrote some books about Christian living, How Shall We Then Live, that we studied in our senior Bible class back in high school).  I emailed the home and heard back that they don't usually just take travelers, but if I wanted to find out about the community and what they were doing there, I was welcome to stay.  So that's what I did!

No comments: